Did you know the diabetics are more prone to foot problems than the average Joe? There are many reasons behind it. For example, diabetes can peel the skin of your feet. It can also cause corns and calluses which are serious foot conditions. So diabetics need to take special care of their feet. Here are some foot care tips for you if you have diabetes:
- Inspect Your Feet – Nerve damage is one of the complications of diabetes which makes it hard to feel when you have sores. So you should carefully look for any changes in the skin color and sores. You should place a mirror below your feet to inspect the soles of your feet or ask a relative to help you if you can’t see all parts clearly.
- Get Good Socks and Footwear – People with diabetes should be very careful during shoe shopping. Experts recommend looking for shoes with deep toe box and without steams which rub the inside of your feet. You should also look for socks without seams. Just look for the socks made of cotton. Investing in a good pair of insoles and inserts can’t hurt either.
- Wear Shoes with Good Fitting – You should always wear shoes which fit well to prevent serious foot problems. Go to buy the shoes during the night because your feet are a bit bigger at that time. You shouldn’t buy pointed shoes because they create pressure on the toes. You should also avoid wearing sandals and open toed shoes.
- Wash Your Feet Everyday – You should wash your feet every day in warm water. Note the temperature with a thermometer; about 90 to 95 degree F is safe. Don’t soak your feet in the water. Dry the feet thoroughly after washing them. Make sure that you also dry between the toes. You should also apply talcum powder between your toes.
- Don’t Walk Barefoot – Wearing shoes outside the house makes sense but wearing shoes inside the house is also quite important to avoid the risk of getting small cuts or penetrations. If you are suffering from neuropathy, you won’t notice these changes until you are infected. So it’s best to wear shoes in the house all the time, and at work, wear the best work boots for flat feet.
- Treat Foot Problems With Care – You should treat foot problems like bunions, corns and calluses suddenly so they don’t bother you afterwards. Even harmless calluses can become quite problematic if left untreated. You should consult a podiatrist in such a situation. Don’t go to a pharmacy and buy an over-the-counter product because they can be dangerous for the feet.
- Protect From Heat and Cold – You should always protect your feet from heat or cold. Always wear shoes on pavement and the beach. You should also put sunscreen on your feet to prevent sunburns. You shouldn’t also put heating pad on your feet. If you feel cold at night, wear socks. You should also wear the best boots for plantar fasciitis to keep yourself warm during winter.
- Easy Physical Activity – You should do physical activity to keep your feet healthy. Do easy physical activities like bicycling, jogging and swimming. Avoid jumping and running. You should wear athletic shoes for these activities.
After seeing these health tips, you should stop complaining about your fate. Follow these tips and make something out of your life.